I hope everyone had an amazing New Year and New Year’s Day! For me, I did my offerings and ceremony at 10.30am on New Year’s day, praying for good luck and prosperity in 2018. I also prayed on behalf of my friends and partners, who all submitted a prayer slip as mentioned in my previous entry.
Around this time of year a lot of people make New Year’s Resolutions. I myself don’t actually do this specifically as I’m more than a little obsessed with goal-setting. It’s quite strange actually, I used to be an insanely disorganized person and then when something bad happened in my life it seems to catapult me into organizing. Now I keep daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly to-do and goal lists. It may seem a little excessive to many people but I’ve found it helps my mental health in a big way and gives me peace of mind.
I’m hoping to make a post regarding my monthly goals every month on the 2nd, as well as a general post of what I have for that month. This year is also Year of the Dog, which is a good year for me as I’m a Tiger. I take advice from Chinese astrology a lot more than I do with Western astrology and horoscopes, and I’d really like to learn more about it this year. I’ll make an entry on what the Year of the Dog represents at the beginning of February, the official start of Chinese New Year!
My Spiritual Goals for January 2018
I’m not going to list my Yearly goals here as they are too vast and varied, but I will write about some of my monthly ones. I’ll report back next month on how I did too! To keep with the theme of this blog I’m going to mention only spiritual goals here, but if you guys are interested in my other goals I can write about those in the future!
- ‘Hatsumode’: I want to visit my local park, Brock’s Hill as I don’t have a Shinto shrine nearby. This trip has so far been delayed due to me catching a chest infection and injuring my right knee. I’m going to try hard to visit before this first week of January is over!
- Write in my Journals: I have many ‘books of shadows’ that I write in, including one specifically for information, one for rituals and spells, one for tarot and a couple of others for meditation and dream logging. I haven’t touched them much since last Autumn and so I’d really like to get them updated. I might share some photos of them here too, should I achieve this goal!
- Meditate Regularly: I have also been slacking in my meditation and haven’t done any journeying since last Autumn. My ‘inner space’ where I go for spiritual advice is a small Shinto shrine surrounded by water and it is a lovely place to visit. I intend to visit it for some caretaking and communication with the kami.
- Read more about Shinto: I have a lot of books on Shinto which I haven’t yet gotten around to reading! Although I feel my Shinto knowledge is good, there are always new things to learn when it comes to any faith! Being outside of Japan I have a limited choice until my Japanese is at a good enough level to read other books. This month I would like to finally finish ‘Shinto: A Celebration of Life‘ by Aidan Rankin.
- Save for Shusse Inari membership: Not so much a spiritual goal, but it is Shinto-related! I want to purchase a membership to Shusse Inari Shrine of America and support their shrine. Having an Inari shrine outside of Japan is incredibly important to me, even if it’s still overseas.
So those are my goals for this month! Hopefully I can achieve them!
How about my readers? Do you set monthly goals or New Year’s resolutions? Maybe you never set goals and just go with the flow? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading!